It’s summer and OH. SO. HOT. And I honestly haven’t really been in the mood to cook or do anything lately except lie down in the AC or chill on the beach – but a girl’s gotta eat, right?
I’ve also been a bit blue because my Dad is in the hospital and having double bypass heart surgery on Monday morning which is a bit scary..and too much to deal with.
So I decided I needed a dose of some comfort food this weekend to cheer me up and bring me a little closer to home with Dad. 🙂
I had a few samples of RedPack petite diced tomatoes on hand and thought they would be perfect for a comforting baked pasta dish – something that reminded me of what Mom used to make for us for dinner.
So I whipped up a Cheesy Skillet Beef Goulash – made with ground beef, tomatoes, onion, garlic, elbow macaroni and three cheeses – all cooked together in one skillet, then baked into a pot of bubbly, cheesy goodness.
Super simple to make and definitely comforting at that. I think I’ll get through the weekend and Dad’s surgery just fine…after I have some of this deliciousness..and maybe a nap in the A/C. 🙂
This is a classic cheesy baked pasta dish made with macaroni, ground beef, diced tomatoes, onion and garlic, topped with Parmesan and shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1- 28 ounce can RedPack petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the macaroni, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, In a large nonstick skillet, add oil and heat until it's shimmering. Add onion, and cook over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and brown until no longer pink, stirring and breaking it up as you cook.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to the skillet and stir. Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes or so until heated through.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, mixing well. Adjust seasonings to your taste buds accordingly...:)
- Top the pasta mixture with both shredded cheeses and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with additional grated Parmesan cheese if desired and serve hot immediately.
Goes great with a green salad and garlic bread and a crisp white wine like Pinot Grigio or a light fruity red table wine.