Summer is that time of year when we get to take some time off from our crazy busy lives, at least for a little while, to clear our heads, visit with friends and family, go to the beach, have a backyard cookout, or simply lie in a hammock and read a book or take a good, long nap.
It’s also a time when i tend to get a little lazy because it’s so hot outside. Or because I actually have some time on my hands to just, well do nothing. Or sleep in a little longer.
Because I’m constantly cooking as a profession, the last thing I feel like doing on vacation is well, cooking. Even though I get to stay at my parent’s house with a huge kitchen and backyard patio that actually has a grill and some room to move. And I always have all these big plans to make all this delicious food when I’m here but really just want to do – well, not much. You know – relax a little bit.
I decided to make something easy for breakfast today. And healthy. All in one big pan. A Summer Veggie Frittata that’s full of spinach and onions and fresh zucchini with some shredded cheese that’s lovely and light and just tasty and good all around. Yes, I threw in a tablespoon or two of cooked bacon because I just can’t help myself but if you’re a vegetarian feel free to leave it out.
I think I could get used to these lazy Summer vacation days. Don’t you agree?
- 2 tablespoons light cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon dill seasoning
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 6 large eggs
- 1-2 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 package frozen spinach, defrosted and drained well (or 2 cups fresh spinach leaves)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Jack, Cheddar, Mozzarella)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Meanwhile, combine cream, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked bacon and seasonings in a mixing bowl, whisking well.
- Heat a medium-large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add oil or butter to the pan and saute onions for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add spinach and cook for a few more minutes until heated through (or wilted if using fresh spinach).
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until eggs are slightly set.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the top evenly.
- Top the frittata with the zucchini slices over the egg and cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and place in the oven.
- Broil for about 3-5 minutes until the top is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cut into wedges.
- Serve with additional fresh veggies or a green salad.
You can also add a little extra protein by mixing in some cooked ham or sausage. Feel free to substitute the veggies by adding in summer squash, peppers, tomatoes, whatever you have on hand. Goes great with a green salad and a glass of white wine if you're in the mood!