This is another favorite recipe I developed for my client Seven Barrels using their Meyer Lemon Olive Oil and Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar to make a lovely sweet and tart dressing, perfect for salads around the holidays. I wanted to make a recipe that incorporates Thanksgiving leftovers and create something light and easy after such a big, rich, and heavy meal.
This Wild Rice + Turkey Bowl with Cranberries and Oranges salad bowl has leftover cooked turkey, wild rice, romaine, fresh oranges and zest, crunchy celery, red onion, dried cranberries and toasted walnuts, drizzled in a gorgeous lemon and raspberry vinaigrette dressing with a touch of cinnamon and cumin and tarragon.
Feel free to experiment too with the bowl ingredients – you can substitute any other healthy whole grain like quinoa or farro or brown rice, and you could also try using cooked chicken in place of the turkey and try dried tart cherries and pistachios in place of the cranberries and walnuts. Any way you make it..I promise it will be delicious!!!
This is a great recipe for using leftover Thanksgiving turkey - a healthy delicious bowl salad with wild rice, romaine, orange, celery, red onion and dried cranberries and toasted walnuts, drizzled in a gorgeous lemon and raspberry vinaigrette dressing with spices and tarragon.
- 2 cups roasted turkey (light and/or dark meat – large slices or shredded)
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Seven Barrels Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Seven Barrels Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced orange zest
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 6 cups romaine hearts, sliced
- ¾ cup fresh orange segments, halved
- ¾ cup celery, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, sliced
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Prep the cooked turkey breast by shredding the meat into bite sized pieces or slicing it into large pieces for the salad.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together orange juice, Seven Barrels Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar, Seven Barrels Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, tarragon, grated garlic, 1 teaspoon orange zest, cumin, pepper, salt, and cinnamon.
- For the bowl, combine cooked wild rice with 1 teaspoon orange zest. Toast chopped walnuts in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until lightly golden brown, set aside.
- Divide cooked turkey, rice, romaine, orange segments, celery, red onion and dried cranberries among four serving bowls; drizzle with vinaigrette and garnish with toasted walnuts.
You can also substitute dried tart cherries, and cooked chicken breast for the cranberries and turkey. Try experimenting with other grains too - quinoa, farro, or brown rice in place of wild rice.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!