There’s nothing better than a fresh baked pie on a dreary, Fall day. I decided to make a savory pie (quiche) with some fresh spinach, green onions, garlic, dill, Fines Herbes, eggs, milk, Parmesan and Sharp White Cheddar cheese I had on hand. So easy, and the perfect comfort food to warm you up on a gray day like today.
I used store-bought frozen pie crusts to save time and make my life easier, but if you’re in the mood to make your own pie crust, here’s a great basic recipe by Martha Stewart. If you’re into gluten-free, check out this pie crust recipe by Bea Peltre of La Tartine Gourmande. You can also make or cut the dough into smaller mini pies or use this recipe filling for a 9-inch tart if you prefer. This is a vegetarian recipe, but would also be fantastic with a little bit of crispy bacon or prosciutto and asparagus or broccoli if you’re not a spinach fan. You can also substitute Gruyere or Fontina cheese in place of the shredded White Cheddar if you like. Serve with leafy greens tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette and a latte or glass of white wine, and you’ve got a fantastic brunch! Enjoy.
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell (or handmade pie dough)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1- 5 ounce package fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon dried Fines Herbes
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (a few sprinkles)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded White Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Let frozen pie shell defrost and place in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Heat oil and butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute spinach for a few minutes until wilted. Add minced garlic and green onions and saute for another minute or so. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs with milk, herbs and seasonings. Add Parmesan cheese to egg mixture and stir well.
- Place the spinach, garlic and onion mixture over the bottom of the unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle grated Cheddar cheese over the top. Pour egg, milk and herbs mixture over the cheese, spreading evenly inside the pie crust.
- Bake pie in oven for 45 minutes until eggs are firmly set and crust is browned. If crust edges start browning too quickly, cover them with some foil half way through.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool and firm up for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and serve with a green salad.
*Alternative Recipe Suggestions: Add some crispy bacon or prosciutto to the quiche, substitute Gruyere or Fontina for Cheddar, or use asparagus or broccoli instead of spinach.
Other Spinach Pie Recipes you might enjoy: