Beef Stroganoff is a dish that always reminds me of home – my mother used to make this on cold winter nights as a special treat for my Dad who is a total ‘meat and potatoes guy’ – obsessed with anything including beef, noodles and gravy. Maybe it’s a German-Polish thing?? She oftentimes prepared this dish with ground beef for a quick and easy dinner, but I’ve adapted her recipe a bit by adding a few extra ingredients to make my own savory version by adding some wine, fresh garlic and thyme. True comfort food for a chilly night, just like Mom made it.
Classic Comfort Food:: Beef Stroganoff
- ½ lb. fresh white mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 lbs. round steak (sliced ¼”-1/2” thick)
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 c. red wine
- 1 1/2 c beef broth
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 package wide egg noodles
- Boil a large pot of water and cook egg noodles per directions. While water is boiling, heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion, mushrooms and garlic until soft in 2 tbsp butter and remove from pan.
- Cut steak into strips 2 ½” long and ¾” wide. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in pan. Toss steak strips in flour and coat. Brown meat in butter until well browned on both sides. Add salt and pepper, worcestershire, wine and broth. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender (about 1 ¼ hours).
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme and parsley and cook approximately 7 mins, until sauce thickens.
- Add sour cream, stir until smooth and remove from heat.
- Serve over hot buttered egg noodles and garnish with more parsley. Enjoy with some crusty bread, a green salad and a glass of red wine.
To make a casserole: combine beef stroganoff mixture with cooked egg noodles with butter and spoon into a greased casserole dish. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees in the oven and then top casserole with crunchy fried onions and bake 10 mins more until onions are crunchy and golden brown.
Other Beef Stroganoff Recipes you may enjoy:
Epicurious Beef Stroganoff
Rachel Ray’s Beef Stroganoff
Williams Sonoma Beef Stroganoff